Location Details

Snyder Funeral Home in Fredericktown

In Fredericktown, Ohio

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Call 24 hours a Day at (740) 694-4006


33 East College Street
Fredericktown, Ohio 43019

Get Directions >>
Fredericktown Resources >>

The Tuttle-Snyder House is one of the few Knox County Examples of the temple form of the Greek Revival Style. It is also important as having been built for S. S. Tuttle, a wealthy early settler and entrepreneur of Fredericktown.

This area of Fredericktown was first purchased by Lucas Sullivant, a surveyor, from the Virginia Military Land District. As early as 1807 the first dam and mill were founded and settlers were rapidly arriving. John Kerr purchased property from Sullivant and laid out the town of Frederick, naming it after his Virginia home. Later the name was changed to Fredericktown. Along with other settlers from Virginia came S.S. Tuttle who established Frederick's first bank. It was about 1840 that he purchased the land and built his home. In addition to being a banker, Tuttle was a substantial landowner, a manufacturer of windows and doors, and the operator of a bell foundry and gristmill.

In 1893 the property was purchased by A.C. and Rose (Owen) Huddle. Mr. Huddle ran a furniture and casket making business while his wife operated an undertaking business from their home. Mrs. Huddle had attended embalming school and lectures at Starling Medical College and had assisted in the founding of the Ohio State Embalmers Association. In that organization she served as recording secretary and on the committee which successfully got legislation passed to regulate the shipment of bodies which had died from infectious and contagious diseases. In 1898, at the National Association of Embalmers Convention, Mrs. Huddle was asked to reply to the male opposition to women being in the undertaking profession. For many years she was the only female embalmer in Ohio.

In 1953 the Snyder family acquired the property from Kelly and Marie Walter. Mr. Walter owned the local Ford Automobile Dealership and he and his wife Marie resided in the house. The Snyder family maintained their residence and a funeral home in the property. It still remains as the Snyder Funeral Home and has been operated by four generations of the Snyder family.

Architecturally the home is a fine local example of the Temple form, a style which was quite prevalent in Virginia and other Southern states, a fact which undoubtedly influenced S.S. Tuttle. The home remains in fine condition and the wings and additions are in keeping with the style. In 1976 the home was honored by being placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Our Caring Staff

Front Row

Kris M. Buirley, Ashley Buirley, Joel Laslo

Back Row

Weston T. Snyder, Jeffrey W. Briggs, Dusty Frazier, Trevis F. Faulker, Dennis L. Snyder

The Snyder Funeral Homes in Fredericktown, Ohio, offers caring funeral, cremation and memorial services and life celebrations for Fredericktown and the greater Fredericktown community including Apple Valley, Bladensburg, Brinkhaven, Centerburg, Danville, Gambier, Howard and Martinsburg.